Confessions of a single mom

Sticky Side of Heaven


Please feel free to respond to any of my thoughts. I love interactive discussion!
My e-mail is liltoad2000@aol.com.
This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, March 31, 2003
WARNING!
 
Hey All! Just thot I'd send along a noe to say that this is the unofficial "Foster Candice's Personal Growth" week. Apparently that is the theme anyway. I wish I had exicitng words to explain it all. To boil it all down into a nutshell here: I learned this week that I seek out rigidity in other people and actively try to loosen them up. Think back on all the conversations I've had with you. Doesn't it seem that I tend to play devil's advocate alot? That I always have to say something outrageous to try to shock you into thinking of another perspective? It doesn't always work and can be downright annoying when I disagree with everything. This is deeply engrained into my psyche and I am trying to figure out why I do this. I have a few hypotheses that I won't list here but if you want to call me, I'll tell you.

Will is becoming a true CODA, I'm a little shocked as I thought it would be a few more years before it manifested. What is a CODA? It's a Child of a Deaf Adult, this moniker generally is applied to hearing children rather than deaf children of deaf adults. This is a unique life situation that tends to shape a person's life in similar ways. They have their own national association and get together to share the 'burdens' of their existence. I say that 'toungue-in-cheek' but in my view the existence of having a parent that to some degree is dependent on the child can be a burden at times, depending on how the parent approaches it. Let me tell you my example and then I'll elaborate more on older kids.

Will and I were playing upstairs when, suddenly, he sat up and said 'what's that?' i listened and heard a loud car "That's a loud car driving by." Will looked at me and said "No, telephone!" I ran downstairs and sure enough, the phone was ringing. The kid just turned two!!! I was thinking he'd be 5 or 6 was when this would start, I guess not. Other examples include asking hearing children to make phone calls, interpret overhead announcements, or interpreting the waiter's specials of the day. I have promised myself that I will not force Will into the interpreter role. He may willingly volunteer, but I don't ever want him to feel a sense of obligation. That's not something a young child should have to bear.

News flash!! Will went potty in his potty chair for the first time tonight!!!!! He looked very nonchalant until he saw mommy jumping up and down, then he got excited!!

Well, it's midnight and I am officially a pumpkin, g'night all, sweet dreams!


Comments: Post a Comment